SLAVERY in the BIBLE:
- Jesus didn’t come to free people from slavery, He came to free them from their sins.
- Jesus didn’t come to change the national culture, He came to change lives.
- The Bible doesn’t directly condone or admonish slavery. It regulates it.
First century slavery was not like slavery in America.
- 1st century slavery was not racial.
- Slavery typically wasn’t lifelong.
- Often, slavery was more like a job.
- Reasons for slavery were many.
Your boss’s behavior is not the standard of submission.
The only way you get a reward when you submit is if you submit because you’re doing it for God's glory.
We have a choice: submit or quit
You can make submitting to your difficult boss an act of worship.
3 things God may do if you choose not to quit:
- Give you a new boss.
- Give you a new job.
- Give you the capacity to live in that situation.
5 Ways to find joy in a job you don’t love:
- Repent of ideal jobolatry.
- Fill yourself with scripture & prayer every day.
- Invest in the tasks and the relationships of your work.
- Contemplate the goodness of your job.
- Remind yourself that your identity is in Christ, not your job.