"Missions" refers to the act of individual Christians carrying out the Great Commission in a culturally competent manner in their home, neighborhood and community.
If we just want to tell people about Jesus, Listening is not required. But if we want to make disciples, Listening is a must.
Ideas to become more intentional in my relationships:
- Let others know of your Christian faith by simply mentioning church attendance or Christian beliefs in casual conversation.
- Ask questions about other people’s beliefs and experiences with faith and church and simply listen appreciatively and sympathetically.
- Listen sympathetically to someone’s challenges and mention that you will pray regularly for them.
- Share a difficult personal issue that you have and be sure to mention that your faith helps you by giving you strength and granting you forgiveness, etc.
- Share your spiritual narrative – a brief testimony of your Christian experience.
- Offer someone a book or audio recording about Christian issues and invite them to discuss their reactions.
- Initiate a discussion about a friend’s biggest problems with or objections to Christianity. Listen respectfully and give them some things to read and discuss.
- Regularly read a part of the Bible together – preferably one of the Gospels – to discuss the character of Jesus.
- -Invite friends to venues where they hear the gospel communicated and discussed – one-time event, such as an open forum; fellowship group; worship service, group meeting for inquirers; such as a book club, seeker group, etc.
- Share the basics of the Christian faith with your friend, laying out how to become a Christian and inviting them to make a commitment.