God wants me to take HOLINESS seriously
1. The Charge to take holiness seriously v11-12
4 high-intensity verbs: flee, pursue, fight, take hold.
In how I relate to God, I will pursue...
- ...righteousness: Doing what is right.
- ...godliness: Becoming a person whose character looks more and more like God.
- ...faith: Choosing to trust in a God we can’t see with our eyes.
In how I relate to others, I will pursue...
- ...love: Giving yourself to others, often at personal cost to yourself.
- ...endurance: Not giving up, even when facing the most severe opposition.
- ...gentleness: treating others with mercy rather than justice.
2. A reminder of where this all came from v12b-14
- At His trial, Jesus claimed to be the King of the Jews.
- During his ministry, Jesus’ miracles & teaching confirmed He was King of the Jews.
- Jesus’ life, ministry and manner of death fulfilled dozens of Old Testament
prophecies proving He was indeed the Messiah, King of the Jews.
- Jesus’ resurrection from the dead gave ultimate validation that His
claim is true.
3. A glimpse of the Holy One v15-16
GOD IS ruler of all. GOD IS greater than all.
AM I TAKING HOLINESS SERIOUSLY?
My NEXT STEP with God this week:
- IMMERSE. Read through 1 Timothy again to review with God what He wants from us.
- FUSE. Sign up for one of the summer home groups!
- RADIATE. Choose one of the 4 high-intensity verbs to focus on as
you strive to take holiness seriously so that you can radiate God's love more effectively. (Flee. Pursue. Fight. Take hold.)
- Get a copy of “the Holiness of God” by RC Sproul to read as a companion book to the upcoming teaching series.