Since God is the one securing my salvation; I don’t have to be afraid of losing it.
HOW CAN I BE CONFIDENT THAT I AM INDEED A CHILD OF GOD?
7 CHARACTERISTICS OF GENUINE CHILDREN OF GOD:
- They are generally obedient to God. (I John 1:6-7; 2:3,29)
- They are not perfect; they are forgiven. (I John 1:8-10)
- They don’t trust in their own obedience; they lean fully on Jesus for their forgiveness and eternal salvation. (I John 2:1-2; 4:14-15)
- Hatred has been replaced by love. (I John 2:9-11; 3:14-15; 4:20-21)
- They love what God loves. (I John 2:15-17; 4:21)
- They refuse to tolerate ongoing sin. (I John 3:6, 9-10)
- They are generous toward those in need. (I John 3:16-20)
Obedience (to God) = Believe (in Jesus) and Love (your brother)
Becoming a child of God:
Admit you need Jesus
Believe in Jesus
Call for Jesus to Save
WHAT HAS GOD SAID THAT GIVES ME ETERNAL SECURITY IN MY RELATIONSHIP AS HIS CHILD?
- I John 5:11-13 I can know that I have eternal life.
- Ephesians 1:13-14 The Holy Spirit guarantees my inheritance.
- John 10:27-30 I am secure in the hand of Jesus.
My NEXT STEP with God is to…
- …slowly read through I John using John’s letter to evaluate my relationship with God.
- …memorize one of the Bible passages we talked about today as a way to fight against the doubts in my head.
- …join the follow-up conversation at one of our 3 home groups.
- …thank my mother by expressing how she reflects God to me.