Continued theme from last week... SURRENDER.
Why should I surrender anything to God?
- Because it's not who I am anymore
- Because certain things want to destroy us
Where is the enemy Peter talks about in I Peter 2:11?
4 SINFUL DESIRES that have declared WAR on me:
- DISCONTENT - Lusting for what isn't mine
- Battlefield is worship
- ANGER - Intense feelings of irritation; the desire to punish
- Battlefield is justice
- ANXIETY - Destabilizing worry; fear that won't let go
- Battlefield is faith
- DEPRESSION - Overwhelming feelings of sadness, despair, or hopelessness
Battle Strategies to get you started:
- Worship the true God. (Exodus 20:3-6,17)
- Identify discontent as worship. (Exodus 20:3-6, 17)
- Cultivate a thankful spirit. (Philippians 4:4-13)
- Let God be God. (Romans 12:17-21; Job 38-42)
- Resolve conflict. (Ephesians 4)
- Choose forgiveness. (Matthew 18:15-35)
- Remind yourself of God's faithfulness. (Psalm 105)
- Remember how big God is. (Isaiah 40)
- Remember how near God is. (Psalm 23,139)
- Fix your eyes on Jesus. (Colossians 3:1-10)
- Remember who you are. (I Peter 2:9-10)
- Grab ahold of the spiritual realities that are yours in Christ. (Ephesians 1:1-14)
Two Summary Statements from the passage:
- Declare war on your own sinful desires because they have declared war on you.
- Do good to those who are far from God because your kindness may result in their salvation.